Stained glass: Church of St Anne, Kew Green

The first Church on this site was built in 1714 on land given by Queen Anne, and largely at her expense. Thomas Gainsborough (1727-1788), the English portrait and landscape artist, is buried here. Johann Zoffany (1733-1810), a German neoclassical painter is also buried here and lived at Strand-on-the-Green just across the river. Both artists enjoyed the patronage of King George III and Queen Charlotte who spent time at the nearby Kew House, Gainsborough the Royal Family’s favourite painter.
Advertisements