Some of the incredibly beautiful detail at Syon House in Brentford. Built on the site of Syon Abbey, the interior was designed by Robert Adam in the 1760s. London residence to the Duke of Northumberland and his family.
This temporary exhibition created by by artist Tobias Rehberger for the 14-18 NOW, WW1 Centenary Art Commissions is inspired by a style of optical distortion used during the First World War called Dazzle painting. Devised by British artist Norman Wilkinson and supervised by the amazing Edward Wadsworth, the camoflage technique incorporated bold shapes and strong contrasts with the aim to confuse rather than conceal. See it on the North side of the Thames opposite the Oxo building.
Brentford Musical Museum is a wonderful self-funded museum dedicated to the history of self-playing musical instruments enjoyed by people over the centuries. An enthusiastic volunteer will take you on a tour of the instruments, from tiny musical box all the way up to the Mighty Wurlizter which is still used to accompany films shown in the Concert Hall. Situated opposite Waterman’s Park by the River Thames and just along the road from Brentford High Street, the museum has a cafe open to the public. Here are some snippits… Continue reading →
The first Church on this site was built in 1714 on land given by Queen Anne, and largely at her expense. Thomas Gainsborough (1727-1788), the English portrait and landscape artist, is buried here. Johann Zoffany (1733-1810), a German neoclassical painter is also buried here and lived at Strand-on-the-Green just across the river. Both artists enjoyed the patronage of King George III and Queen Charlotte who spent time at the nearby Kew House, Gainsborough the Royal Family’s favourite painter.